Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Little Bit of Nostalgia

Garbage Pail Kids

Recently the kids came to me and stated,
"Mom, we found these cool cards called Garbage Pail Kids.  Have you ever heard of them?"
Have I ever heard of them?  WHAT??!!  I still have over 25 of my cards from the early 80's.  I was more excited than the kids to see the return of these grotesque cards.  It was a trip down memory lane for me.  
My brother and I would walk down to the local market with a $1.00 in hand.  As I paid for the new pack of cards, my excitement overtook me.  I couldn't wait to get out of the market before I had the pack ripped open!!  My brother and I would then trade cards with one another on the walk home, along with eating all two pieces of bubblegum the cards came with.  I couldn't wait till the following week.  I knew there would be new cards coming out, more gum to chew, and the anticipation of my weekly allowance being spent on necessary cards.  
Today, the kids' pack of cards come with a poster, not gum.   $4.99 for a 24 pack...wow, inflation for sure.  Today we got our weekly cards.  I was so excited to see the cards, I forgot my purse at the check-out.  A kind lady reminded me of my forgotten belongings as I walked away a tad embarrassed.  What these cards will do to a grown woman.  :)

From the mouth of Lauren:
"Mom, I haven't seen you wear those jeans before."
"Oh, I can finally wear them.  It's been two years since I've been this size Lauren."
"Well they look like skinny jeans Mom, guess that's why you haven't been wearing them.  Why are you now?"
Needless to say, I changed into my sweatpants and went looking for the ice cream.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment