Thursday, March 29, 2012

Spring Break Day #4



Today marks day #4 in the kids' Spring break.   I've had it up to my eye balls with this crappy weather.  First it's rain, then the wind, then the sun decides to give us all hope and shine just a bit.  And just when our hope gets inflated...BAM, it starts to rain.  I'm sick of this.  So much so I decided to get the kids out of the house and burn some energy.
We headed to Danik.  Danik has open play at their gymnastic facility during Spring break from 10-1 all week.  When we arrived at 10:30, it appeared everyone had the same idea.  It was packed full of kids!  Didn't stop my four from enjoying themselves though.

Juliebelle quickly found the parallel bars, Anthony jumped into the foam pit, and Lauren straight for the monkey bars.  And Lucas, well, he just roamed all around and I followed him like a puppy.  Usually when we visit Danik, it's not as crowded, so the kids can enjoy more of the facility to themselves.  Today we had to learn to share.

After an hour and a half of the gym's goodness, Lucas decided it was time to go.  He was rubbing his eyes, wanting Mom to hold him, and placing his sweet little head in the crook of my neck.  I told the kids 10 more minutes and it was time to go.  They moaned as well as groaned at my request.


We got home and made lunch and Lucas took his well needed nap.

An hour into his nap, I decided that even though Spring seems so far away with the weather we're having, why not kick it into overdrive and do some Spring cleaning?  Ah yes, the dreaded cleaning.  In my case, it's the glorious cleaning.  I grabbed two large garbage sacks and went to town.  I started in Lauren's room.  Dear God, that child is what my definition of a hoarder is.  She had candy wrappers tucked into the side of her mattress (well hidden by her comforter) and she had markers on top of her closet (she must have thrown them because the closet is much too high for her reach) and she even had a dried up tube of toothpaste in the way back of her underwear drawer.  I didn't hold back either.  I had Juliebelle's help and we went to town.  We made a donation pile, a throw a way pile, and a wash pile. Unfortunately the donation pile wasn't as big as the trash pile.  I filled a large sack up with broken crayons, drawings that were torn (thanks Lucas) and many, many, mismatched socks.  Ahhh, why can't I ever find that missing sock ?

After her room was SPOTLESS, I headed to Anthony's room.  By this time, Lucas was awake and willing to join me in my cleaning spree.  Those that know me well know that when I'm in clean mode, which is probably too dang often, I don't like to be disturbed or have to stop what I'm doing.  Lucas came into "holy terror" Anthony's room, and sat and played with Legos the entire time.  Anthony helped sort out his piles, not staying focused.  After the twentieth time of telling him to stay on track, we were, I mean I was, pretty much done with his room.

It was now time to vacuum.  Have  I ever mentioned how much I LOVE to vacuum?  Well, if I haven't, I'll tell you...I LOVE to vacuum.  I had an empty canister.  By the time I was done vacuuming Lauren's room, Anthony's room, and the bonus section of the upstairs, I had a full canister of dirt, bits of paper, and you name it that can get sucked up into a Dyson.  It was gross, but felt oh so good to rid the bedrooms of such crap.

After the cleaning spree, I started dinner.  While eating, Anthony looked over at me and said, "Mom, I love how clean my room is now.  I'm not going to guarantee it'll stay that clean for very long, but it's nice while it lasts."

I assume I gave him the death look after that comment, because he looked scared, real scared.  Yeah, I must have.  Let's hope the look sustained him long enough to want to keep the room cleaned.


After dinner was cleaned up, I started one of five loads of laundry.  Hey, when you discover "new" dirty clothes shoved behind beds, dressers, and toy boxes, there's a plethora of clothes that need to be washed.  As I was folding the clothes, I decided that if the kids put away all of their clothes, I'd go get them ice cream.  I know, bribing kids to do what they should?  Yes I did.  I didn't want to have to put them all away, so I knew if ice cream was involved, it'd get done and actually get done right.  And I was correct.

We headed to Sonic on a whim and the kids enjoyed their ice cream.  I enjoyed the break from the day.  Lucas even enjoyed bits and nibbles from each of the kids' treats.  See, look at how happy he is!


I'm off to bed.  Day #5 is fast approaching.  Let's cross our fingers for good weather.  I'd like to do something fun with the kids that's outdoors.  Heck, something fun that's free, but only if Mother Nature wants to cooperate.

No comments:

Post a Comment