Monday, December 23, 2013

Secret Santa Strikes



We opened the door early Sunday morning; the silly dog's barking again, what does he need?
To our surprise, we spot this note atop a large green bag.  Steve grabs the bag and its contents and begins to read the above note.  The kids are squealing with joy, open it, open it, open it!!

As we open the bag and peer into it, a sense of wonder comes over me.  Who could possibly do something this nice for our family?  
Steve pulls out each box and hands it to each one of our children.  Then he pulls out more.  There's even two more boxes...one for me and one for Steve.
Wrapping paper is flying, screams of delight can be heard from each child, and finally as the boxes are torn and all that's left to the beautifully wrapped packages is a crumpled mess on the floor, each child holds their gifts.  After hearing, open yours Mom and Steve one too many times, Steve and I open our carefully wrapped boxes.  Santa was good, very good.

As the Ho Ho paper lies on the floor, bows resting on the perfectly matching tissue paper, my heart fills with wonder, warmth, and of course curiosity.  Who?  Why? When?  All thoughts I'm asking myself in this time of great appreciation.

You see, we chose to give of ourselves this Christmas; in a post I had written here.  There would be no gifts for ourselves because we knew that there were others less fortunate than us.  It was a decision we made as a family and despite not having their own gifts to open on Christmas, the children agreed as well.  
So to have this act from Santa not only caught me off guard, it also brought me to the realization that others do care, do love, and do have a sense about them that makes this world a better place.

After hours upon hours of trying to decode who Santa really was and all leads going nowhere, I finally said, Stop!  Let this moment of pure generosity resonate within us.  Let's not try and become Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys for a moment. 
When my heart settled upon that thought, I smiled.  I also shed a tear...yeah, I really did.  I did because the thought of what had just been shared with us was so humbling, so touching, and so amazingly awesome, I couldn't take it!

So Mr. Santa Claus, whoever you are, THANK YOU!  Thank you so much for being the reason we still believe there's so much greatness still left in this world.  May you have a Merry Christmas knowing you are great and wonderful!

2 comments:

  1. How fun! Merry Christmas to your family! That is why this time of year is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,
    Merry Christmas to you and your family as well. I agree, this is the best time of year...for reasons such as mine and of course, the birth of our Lord and Savior. :)

    ReplyDelete