Thursday, February 19, 2015

Day #1- A Journey Through Lent



Day one could not have been a better day!  It so happened to fall on my birthday, which made the day even better for me.

To show God's love for this first day, I met a wonderful woman whose name is Linda.  Linda has Stage 4 ovarian cancer.  But cancer does not define her.  What defines her is her love for The Lord.  Her smile lit up the room upon meeting her and her personality was just as bright.

I sat down with Linda yesterday to hear her story.  I also heard her pain and her fear of leaving those she loves behind.  But not once did I hear her complain about the situation He has placed her in, but rather, she spoke of how she's drawn to Him more through this process.

I reached out to our church a few weeks ago in search of a person in need of housecleaning services who is unable to tackle the chore themselves due to illness.  I received a call moments later referring me to Linda.  When Linda was informed I would be coming to help her with cleaning, she cried and said this couldn't have come at a better time in her life.  I knew right then and there I was called to share His love in this way.

After I cleaned the rooms she requested, I sat and chatted more with her.  I learned what a beautiful woman she is.  I also learned, she has been strengthened through Christ to carry out her days with strength, love, and grace.  Linda is truly an amazing woman and I'm so thankful I got the opportunity to meet her.

When I returned home, I found flowers waiting on my porch from my dear and wonderful friend Mary.  Mary herself is battling Stage 3 pancreatic cancer who also happens to be a warrior for God.  Her card attached to the flowers simply read, "You are amazing, Love Mary."  I teared up reading her words.  Me amazing?  She's the amazing one battling something so awful and destructive to her body. How wonderful for her to remember my special day when she has so much going on in her world. I placed the card down and smiled at how blessed I am to know such a fighter and also such a lover.  When I walked into the house, I spotted a plant on the kitchen counter with a balloon attached.  The card read, "Lucas and Dillon wanted Mommy to have a balloon.  We love you."  Let the tears come streaming down I tell you!  My mother-in-law placed the plant there for me to see.  She wanted me to have a plant (I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE plants!) from the boys.  


Standing at the kitchen counter that evening staring at my bouquet of flowers, my plant and balloon, and reflecting back on my day, I realized how my blessings towards others has come back to me tenfold.  I stood in the silence of the night and felt the peace that surrounded me.  I am thankful for the ability to give to others through this Lent journey and I'm also so thankful for the gifts given back to me...through love.



2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad God makes sure you know how wonderful you are! :) thank you God! :)

    ReplyDelete